Sunday Victorian Fashion Show and Ice Cream Social
Join us for a Victorian “Fancy Dress” Fashion Show and Ice Cream Social!
Fancy Dress (costumed) balls and parties were all the rage during the Victorian era. Some had specific themes, such as those featuring costumes inspired by the reigns of Louis XV and XVI or Russian Royalty, and one creative event in 1898 was a plant party, where the guests came attired as various vegetables, flowers houseplants and fruits (mostly in the form of elaborate headdresses).
Costumes were generally based on the following:
- HISTORICAL: A famous person from the present (1800s/Victorian era) or past. A favorite theme was European royalty.
- INTERNATIONAL: A country’s national dress from 1800s and earlier.
- CONCEPTS: Inventions, Ideas, a popular topic of the day, such as Electric Light, Photography, The Telegraph, Newspaper, Time.
- OBJECTS: Table Top Games. Champagne bottle. Feather Duster. Any inanimate object.
- NATURE: Animals and sea creatures, flowers and plants. The Sun, the Moon, the Stars, a Rainbow.
- FABLES, STORIES AND NURSERY RHYMES: Mother Goose, a novel’s hero or heroine, Red Riding Hood (Victorian style), etc.
See our models and their interpretations of Fancy Dress costumes from the Victorian era, while partaking of refreshing afternoon dessert and of course, TEA!
Tickets for this event will be $30.00 and will be available on a first-come, first served basis in the Vendor Hall starting at 3pm on Friday, October 6, 2017. Be sure to purchase your tickets to Gaslight Expo at the link above!
**VIP ticket holders will be contacted prior to the event to determine their preference for limited ticketed events.
Updated: August 28, 2017